Saturday, January 8, 2011

"It's like having all the TV channels on at once"





At first I was just shocked that I was here. I had researched so much, but all the chaotic driving, the children knocking about my rickshaw's door, the haggling, had suddenly sprung to life. Delhi has been magnificent, heartbreaking, humorous, glorious, confusing and everything in between. Like it's traffic, Delhi has no clear organization that we as Westerners can understand, and yet it has this organic intuitive way of running that somehow seems to work. The people are the warmest, most polite people--and yet they are prone to being brutally honest and engaging in shouting matches with vendors.

I am being general here, I know, because so much has happened that I don't know how to encompass it all.  I also don't  know if it is productive of me to write it all for all to see while I am still living here in Delhi

And so, I'm starting to realize that I have promised a little too much to people back home. I need time to just be here without the obligation of regurgitating my thoughts back to America in real time.  My Catholic guilt is tugging at me so I will try to post the occasional photos or quick weekly update. Otherwise, the lengthy analysis of my days here will mostly occur in my journal. Sorry. Sorry, sorry, sorry.

3 comments:

  1. honestly put, will enjoy any post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your favorite aunt will be reading every word with great interest and love (but no expectations)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'll just add to your "Catholic Guilt" by letting you know how much you are missed in the wet state and how we are looking forward to hearing all about India when you return. In the meantime, I'll look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete